2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup lime juice (6-8)
1/2 cup rum (feel free to use a flavored rum)
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half and half
4 egg yolks
zest of one lime
1) In a small suacepan combine lime juice, sugar, and rum.
2) Bring to a boil and let boil for 15-20 minutes.
3) Once the sugar has melted, the mixture should have a consistency of oorn syrup. Take it off the heat and let cool.
4) Combine the cream and half & half in a large sauce pan and let heat up. In a large bowl combine egg yolks and lime zest. Mix well.
**DO NOT boil the cream mixture. When it starts steaming take it off the heat and slowly add it to the egg yolk mixture. This is so that your eggs don’t get scrambled by the hot liquid.
5) Once everything is combined, add back to the saucepan and heat up to 140 F (this is the safe temperature for eggs). If you don’t have a food thermometer, bring the mixture almost to a boil and then take it off the heat.
6) Once your cream mixture is off the stove and the lime syrup is cooled down a bit, mix everything together and add the chopped mint.
7) Add to your ice cream maker.
8) After its done, immediately place it into an airtight container and allow to freeze hard.